Registration Office

By German law, you need to register yourself within two weeks after you move in an apartment at the Registration Office ("Bürgeramt").

If you move in an apartment in Frankfurt you can  register for an appointment online (s. link below). Unfortunately, the city of Frankfurt does not provide an English webpage. Please contact the International Office if you need any assistance.

To register yourself, you will need:

  • an appointment
  • your, your spouse’s and your children’s passports
  • a letter from your (future) landlord, the so called “Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung”
  • only if applicable: your children's birth certificates and your marriage certificate (plus a certified translation in German)


Useful Links:

Registration Office of the City of Frankfurt:

Federal Act on Registration:

Go to Editor View